First, here are some words from Civia directly -
"Civia’s take on the traditional cycle truck is designed for every-day hauling. Featuring a frame-mounted front rack with a sturdy base made from recycled dumpster plastic, Halsted’s versatile design lets you carry up to 50 pounds of awkward objects like soccer balls, pizza boxes or a few bags of soil for the garden. Delivering an extremely balanced and comfortable ride, its 20” front wheel lowers the load’s center of gravity, while a 26” rear adds speed and stability. Halsted’s compact wheelbase allows tight maneuvering in urban spaces".
Here are the specs -
- 4130 steel frame and fork
- 26" rear wheel, 20" front wheel
- Frame mounted front rack
- Recycled HDPE rack deck made in Minnesota
- Civia semi-horizontal dropouts
- Fender and rack bosses on frame and fork
- Canti-bosses on frame, disc brake tabs on fork
- Ring-lock bosses on frame
- Civia custom-designed kickstand plate
- Stainless steel headtube badge
- Civia stainless steel seatpost clamp
One of the reasons why we like this bike so much is that it offers people who are interested in a utility bike a new option that is much smaller and lighter than most of the cargo bikes currently on the market and allows those who have limited storage space or apartment dwellers a complete utility solution. All you have to do is look at the photo above to see how versatile this bike can be - kid on the back, junk in the front - with the possibility of carrying 2 kids and junk if needed!
Of ride characteristics - in a word, nimble. Riding the Halsted is a real treat! Here are some thoughts -
- lighter overall weight (when compared to other cargo bikes) and a 9-speed gear range means faster acceleration, easy hill climbing, and top speed aplenty.
- a longer cockpit area makes the bike feel very similar to a standard mountain bike and makes out-of-the-saddle climbing easy.
- low overall weight makes carrying the bike up stairs possible (again, comparing to cargo bikes)
- when loaded with cargo (and perhaps a child) the bike is stable and confidence inspiring, with a maximum load on the front flatdeck of about 50lbs or so.
- semi-stephrough toptube design makes getting on/off easy.