Hot Post Of The Month

Jun 21, 2013

Calgary Flood of 2013 In Pictures

We woke up this morning to reports that the city was being inundated by both the Bow and Elbow rivers and decided to do a little exploring to check out some of the affected areas. I have to say I never in my wildest dreams thought I would see our city so completely swamped - even in the downtown core. Many of the pathways we ride on are under 3 metres (10 ft) of water - I think it will be awhile before our city recovers from this.
17 Ave SW and Centre St
My Son: "Dad, it feels like we're in a zombie movie with all the sirens, the police everywhere, and all the power is out"

5 St SW and 25 Ave SW

4 St SW in Mission

So sad to see so much destruction in my city but I also know that Calgarians can pull together like no other community to clean up the damage, both to property and to people's lives.

Poppy Plaza almost under water.

Shouldice Park looking west towards Bowness.

Shouldice Bridge almost under water Friday night.

Stay safe Calgary, our thoughts are with all those affected by this devastating event.

A random thought: We were able to get into areas that were inaccessible by vehicle really easily on the cargo bike we were riding - kinda reminding me that bikes are a solution for many things - including perhaps disaster relief.

No comments: