I had a few more days of planned holidays (with no corresponding activity plan) and decided to give this trip a go. I had also received a brand new bike from a brand new vendor to the shop and thought why not ride it to get a real sense of what it could do.
After deciding on the route, Nadia gratiously offered to drop me off in Peter Lougheed Park and pick me up from Kimberley at the end of my journey. If that's not true love, I'm not sure what is :)
Please enjoy this photo essay and if you have any questions, leave us a comment, drop us a line on Twitter, FB, or IG. Cheers!
Trip notes, gear list, and bicycle information is available at the bottom.
Day 1 - Elk Pass to Elkford
|See what's missing? Lost a shoe on the Mayook section :(|
|Big trestle over the St. Mary's River - the low point on the trail. It's all uphill from here to Kimberley.|
|Stay weird, Kimberley.|
- Without question, the Trails BC site was a route finding miracle. I really loved the option to open the map directly in Google maps and using the satellite function was invaluable, especially when on the forestry roads where spurs go off in every direction constantly.
- I also found the Trailforks app to be useful for getting a sense of the elevation I'd encounter on some trails making metering out my efforts easier and offering both confidence and sorrow knowing what was ahead :)
- For families, be aware that TGT does drop you onto roads and highways. There is sometimes a way around - but not always
- BC Recreational Sites shows some of the legit sites under they control and are generally free to stay at.
Some have asked for me to post my gear list, so here goes. It changes all the time depending on the bike, trip, and weather conditions to be encountered. This was a pretty minimalist kit for me with the forecast super hot conditions...
- tent fly/poles/pegs
- Poler Tarpent ground sheet
- Therm-a-rest NeoAir pad and oversheet
- Therm-a-rest Corus quilt
- Inflatable foam pillow
- MSR PocketRocker stove, fuel can, and MSR titanium pot/lid
- Salsa titanium spork
- GSI Insulated mug/bowl
- Asoto Collapsible Coffee Filter holder and #2 filters
- Personal bag with toiletries/meds/first aid kit/bug spray/sunscreen
- Food bag with coffee/sugar/hot choco, 1 pack of instant noodles, 2 energy bars, 1/2 bag of Ritz mini crackers with cheese, 1 box of Reese pieces, 1 happy yak dinner, oatmeal packs, pre-packed pb&j sandwich on naan, flask of bourbon and 2 packets of Pocket Cocktails Ol' Fashioned mix
- Clothing: 2 tank tops, 1 pair of jorts, 3 undies, 1 bib short, 2 pair socks, windbreaker, camp shoes, riding shoes, sunhat, UV50 long sleeve Columbia button up
- 3 standard water bottles
- Opinel knife and bear spray
- Anker charger (for electronics)
- Collapsible fishing rod/reel and small tacklebox
- Toolkit: Multitool, spare tube, pump, patchkit, 2 tire levers
Bicycle and Trailer Info:
- Tout Terrain Outback 27.5+ bikepacking bike with RockShox fork and dropper post, Jones Bend 710 bars, Jones soft grips, Crankbrothers Candy pedals, Elite bottle cage, Ortlieb Toptube Bag.
- Tout Terrain Mule Plus trailer with Ortlieb Rack Pack 49L drybag